Do I Need a Permit?


The following information is for RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS ONLY.  For questions concerning commercial projects and whether or not a permit is required, please contact our office at 276-385-1215.

Building Permit

These types of projects require a Building Permit:

  1. Building a new house.
  2. Building an addition onto an existing house or attached garage.
  3. Converting an existing deck or screened porch to a Florida room (sunroom).
  4. Building, replacing, adding to, and making structural repairs to a deck whether it is attached to the main structure or not.
  5. Building an attached or detached garage or carport.
  6. Converting a garage to a habitable space.
  7. Building a porch, screened porch, deck, associated steps, or ramp.
  8. Building or installing a one story detached structure, used as a tool shed, storage, shed, playhouse, or similar use, that is 257 square feet or larger in area.
  9. Finishing an unfinished attic, basement, or room over a garage.
  10. Moving, adding, or removing a load-bearing wall or partition.
  11. Repairing, altering, enlarging, or modifying any structural element of the house including:
  12. Any damaged structural element, such as load bearing stud walls, columns, piers, footings, foundation, floor joists, rafters, beams, or girders.
  13. Enlarging or adding a door opening or window opening.
  14. Changing the use of the structure (example: changing from residential use to a business use).
  15. Installing a pool (permanent or storable), hot tub, or spa that is greater than 150 square feet, 5000 gallons in capacity, and greater than 24 inches deep.
  16. Building, replacing, or repairing (structurally) a retaining wall that is greater than 24 inches in height or that supports load from a structure.

Electrical Permit

These types of projects require an Electrical Permit:

  1. Providing new electrical service or wiring.

*Note: All new electrical services requested for outbuildings, storage buildings, etc. (portable and manufactured), will be required to be detached from the structure.

  1. Upgrading electrical service.
  2. Adding a permanent generator back-up to an existing electrical panel, service equipment, and similar devices.
  3. Installing or replacing any electrical wiring, panel board, service equipment, or disconnecting means.
  4. Any wiring that penetrates a fire rated assembly, and any wiring that is installed in a plenum or both.

Plumbing Permit  

These types of projects require a Plumbing Permit:

  1. Any new construction...
  2. Installing any new piping or fixtures.
  3. Replacing any plumbing pipe, such as hot and cold water supply, County water and sewer connections, well connections, septic tank connections, drainage piping.
  4. Installing lawn irrigation backflow prevention device.
  5. All water heaters shall require expansion tank installation.

 Mechanical Permit

These types of projects require a Mechanical Permit:

  1. Any new construction…
  2. Installing new mechanical equipment (e.g. new air conditioner, heat pump, furnace, etc.).

   *Exception: When replacing a like for like electric heat pump,   permits are not required, if the units are sized the same and no new ductwork is involved.

  1. Replacing any furnace, hydronic piping (hot water piping), or its associated ductwork.
  2. Installing or replacing any flue or new vent associated with mechanical equipment.
  3. Replacing an existing furnace with one that utilizes a different fuel.

Gas Permit  

These types of projects require a gas permit.

  1. Any new construction that requires:
    1. Removing, replacing or installing any gas appliances or equipment, including piping, gas logs, water heaters, furnaces. Appliances that are not required to have a permit for replacement are cook tops, stoves, ranges and dryers.
    2. Installation of new propane tanks or replacing a propane tank of a different capacity or location.

Demolition Permit  

A demolition permit is required any time a structure is being razed and returned to original grade. It includes all demolition on houses, detached buildings, decks, etc.

This permit is not intended for the removal of interior walls (renovation work) or for situations when the existing structure is being razed so that a new structure can replace it - in this situation, a new building permit will include the demolition of the old structure.

For the Demolition Permit, the homeowner/contractor shall:

  1. Complete a Building Permit Application.
  2. Provide a plat showing the location of the building on the property.
  3. An asbestos report may be required to be submitted with the application.
  • This also includes Commercial Buildings
  1. An inspection will be made to ensure that the demolition is complete, all demolition debris is removed, and the grade has been restored to the point where the land will drain.

Work that does NOT require a permit  

The building code allows work to be done without obtaining a permit. While a permit is not required, the work must be in compliance with the code. The following information pertains to SINGLE FAMILY DWELLINGS ONLY; it does not pertain to apartments, condominiums or townhouses (for information on these types of dwellings, please contact our office).  Some examples of work that does not require a permit include:

  1. Making ordinary repairs and improvements, including, but not limited to:
    1. Painting the inside or outside of the house or detached structures.
    2. Repairing drywall, plaster, siding, re-roofing (shingles only).
    3. Installing new floor coverings, such as vinyl, carpet, or hardwood.
    4. Installing or refurbishing cabinetry.
    5. Repairing or replacing porch flooring or deck flooring. Note: A permit is required to repair or replace the joists or girders.
    6. Repairing or replacing handrails on a porch.
    7. Installing or replacing doors and windows, including storm windows, where no structural change is performed.
    8. Installing or replacing gutters and downspouts.
  2. Installing driveways or sidewalks.
  3. Constructing or installing a storage shed, playhouse, etc., 256 square feet or less in area.
  4. Adding a fence (which is not part of a swimming pool enclosure) and which is 6' or less in height - refer to subdivision covenants (if applicable).
  5. Building recreational equipment, such as swings, skateboard ramps, jungle gyms, etc.
  6. Adding insulation.
  7. Installing any wiring or equipment which operates at less than 50 volts.
  8. Installing a security alarm system.
  9. Replacing an electrical water heater with a new electric water heater.
  10. Replacing electrical fixtures, such as switches and receptacles.
  11. Replacing a ceiling fan to a pre-wired switch, that has a ceiling fan rated and supported box.
  12. Replacing plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, toilets, faucets, etc.
  13. Retaining walls that are for landscaping purposes only.
  14. Replacing electrical cook top stoves, ranges, and dryers.

If you should have questions about whether a permit is required please call the Building Inspection office at 276-385-1215.


About     Applications and Forms   General Information    How to get a permit?    Code Changes    Useful Website Resources