Treasurer Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the real estate tax rate for the current tax year?
The real estate tax rate is $0.55 per $100 as based on the assessment that is done every six years.

What is the personal property tax rate for the current tax year?
The personal property tax rate is $2.00 per $100 of the assessed value as stated in the NADA Blue Book for January 1st of the same tax year.

What is the mobile home tax rate for the current tax year?
The mobile home tax rate is $0.55 per $100 of the assessed value.

When are taxes due?
Real Estate and Personal Property taxes are due on December 5th of each year.  Taxes are considered delinquent after December 5th of each year.  Late payment penalty (10%) and interest (10% APR) are added on December 6th.

What is a supplemental Real Estate Bill?
Supplemental assessments are performed by the Assessor’s Office during the year.  This is on a new construction or addition.  Supplements are due 30 days after being notified.

Who do I contact concerning my assessment?
Questions concerning your assessment on land (real estate) should be directed to the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office at 276-385-1238, while questions regarding your assessment on vehicles (personal property) should go to 276-385-1234.

Is there a tax relief program for the elderly or disabled veterans?
There are tax relief programs available to citizens age 65 and older or for totally and permanently disabled veterans.  The taxpayer is required to file an application form with the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office by April 1st of each year and meet the required income criteria to qualify for the elderly exemption. Questions concerning these tax relief programs should be directed to 276-385-1235.

What information do I need to purchase a dog license?
All dogs age four (4) months are required to have a dog license. A vaccination certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian must be presented. Code requires dog licenses to be purchased by February 1, each year. Dog licenses are nonrefundable and cannot be transferred.

What is the cost of a dog license?
One year dog license is $4.00. Three year dog license is $10.00. Kennel license for 20 dogs is $25.00. Kennel license for over 20 dogs is $35.00.

What is the cost of a county decal?
Automobile, truck, motor home license is $10.00. Tractor Trailer license is $10.00.  Motorcycle decal is $10.00. The decal is good for as long as you own the vehicle and it is no longer required to purchase a new decal every year.

What alternative methods are available for paying taxes?
The Direct Payment Program allows you to make real estate or personal property tax payments automatically each month. When you enroll in the program, the amount you choose will be deducted from your bank account each month and applied toward the taxes you specify. You can obtain an authorization form from the Treasurer’s office or call and have one mailed to you.  A monthly real estate tax pre-payment plan that is billed to the taxpayer by the Treasurer’s office is also available.

What payment options are available?
Payments may be made by cash, check, or money order in person or by mail anytime during the year.  Debit card and credit card payments (VISA, Mastercard, Discover) may be made in person, online, or by calling the Treasurer’s Office.  A convenience fee of 2.75 percent is added to all credit card payments and a $3.95 fee is added to all debit card payments.These fees are collected by the card processor, PAYMENTUS Corporation, not Tazewell County.  To pay by phone using PAYMENTUS call 1-866-288-9030 and follow the instructions.

What collection methods are used for collecting delinquent taxes?
Tazewell County uses a variety of collection methods allowed under Virginia Code. We use the Debt Set Off program through the Virginia Department of Taxation to seize state income tax refunds. We also place DMV stops which block all DMV transactions with the Department of Motor Vehicles for all unpaid personal property taxes and we utilize tax liens on wages and bank accounts and also pursue warrants in debt through the court system. Real estate is sold under the Judicial Sale code section through the Courts with all expenses paid by the taxpayer or the court sale.

Could my property be sold for taxes?
Yes, your property can be sold for delinquent taxes when delinquent for three years. Real estate is sold under the Judicial Sale “Bill in Equity” code section through the Circuit Court. This is a very expensive process and all costs are borne by the delinquent taxpayer or taken from the proceeds of the sale. The Judicial Sale process requires extensive notification of the owners, lien holders, and legal publications.

Will you explain the Personal Property Tax Relief Act?
The Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 provides tax relief for any passenger car, motorcycle, pickup, or panel truck having a registered gross weight of less than 7,501 pounds. The vehicle must be owned or leased by an individual and NOT used for business purposes. In 2006, the Commonwealth capped its payment to localities. Each year Tazewell County is required to recalculate the tax relief percentage based on the state cap and the growth in the number value of vehicles located in the county. For qualified vehicles, your tax bill is reduced by the applicable tax relief percent for the tax year on the first $20,000 of value. If your qualifying vehicles assessed value is $1,000 or less, your tax has been eliminated and the Commonwealth’s share is 100%. You are required to certify annually to Tazewell County that your vehicle remains qualified to receive car tax relief. Therefore, it is important that you review the information sent to you by the Tazewell County Commissioner of the Revenue to be sure that your vehicles are properly qualified. This information may be included on items such as Personal Property Tax Returns or tax bills. If your vehicle is improperly qualified or you are uncertain whether your vehicle would be eligible for car tax relief because it is used part of the time for business purposes, contact the Commissioner of Revenue at 276-385-1234.

Where do I send estimated income tax payments and when are they due?
Individuals making estimated payments should send their first payment to the Commissioner of Revenue by May 1, of each year. Estimated payments 2, 3, and 4 should be mailed to the Treasurer’s Office. All checks should be made payable to the Tazewell County Treasurer.