How Do I Get a Permit?

To comply with State building codes, in order to obtain a building permit, the following are minimum requirements.

  1. The appropriate building application shall be filled out.
  1. At the time of application, provide the County Tax Map Number.
  • If you do not know this information, building department staff can assist you in locating this information.
  1. If the construction is being conducted in the Town of Richlands, Town of Cedar Bluff, Town of Pocahontas, or the Town of Tazewell, a town zoning permit is required in addition to a county building permit.
  • Permits obtained for work to be conducted in the Town of Bluefield, shall be obtained through the Bluefield town office.
  1. If you plan to use or currently use a private well and septic system, you shall have approval from the Health Department.
  • This approval is for additions/renovations/repairs that may affect your septic system.
  • Their telephone number is 988-5585.


  1. A copy of building plans, blueprints or detailed drawings shall be submitted with the building application for approval by the Building Official.
  • A copy will be kept to review and retain in the Building Official’s files as required by the Code of Virginia.
  • Issuance of the permit will be postponed until a plan review can be conducted.
  • The plan review can take from 3 to 10 business days depending on the plans; plans that are extensive in detail may take longer.
  1. If your project will disturb 10,000 square foot area or greater of soil, you will need to speak with the Tazewell County Engineering Department regarding E&S (erosion and sediment) issues.
  1. Proof of valid contractor’s license. Any homeowner, who hires a contractor, shall provide the contractor’s information as required.  
  • All contractors shall provide a valid Virginia contractor’s license number at the time of application.
  • All subcontractors shall provide a valid Virginia contractor’s license number at the time of application.
  • All individual/tradesman license numbers shall be provided at time of application.
  • To search Virginia contractor and tradesman license numbers, certifications, and validity, please click on the following link:
  1. If the homeowner is going to perform the work described on the building permit, then the homeowner is required to complete an affidavit and be responsible for all work performed.
  • Under Title 54.1-1111
    • Prerequisites to obtaining building etc. permit. Any person applying to the code official or any other authority of a county, city, or town in this Commonwealth, charged with the duty of issuing building or other permits for the construction of any building, highway, sewer, or structure, or any removal, grading or improvement shall furnish prior to the issuance of the permit, either (i) satisfactory proof to such code official or authority that he is duly licensed or certified under the terms of this chapter to carry out or superintend the same, or (ii) file a written statement, supported by affidavit, that he is not subject to licensure or certification as a contractor of subcontractor pursuant to this chapter. The applicant shall also furnish satisfactory proof that the taxes or license fees required by any county, city, or town have been paid so as to be qualified to bid upon or contract for the work for which the permit has been applied.
  • TITLE 54.1-1101 (Exemptions) – The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to:
    • Any person who performs or supervised the construction, removal, repair or improvement of no more than one primary residence owned by him and for his own use during any 24-month period.
    • Any person who performs or supervises the construction, removal, repair or improvement of a house upon his own real property as a bona fide gift to a member of his immediate family provided such member lives in the house. For purposes of this section, “immediate family” includes one’s mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandchild, grandparent, mother-in-law and father-in-law.
    • Any person who performs or supervises the repair or improvement of industrial or manufacturing facilities, or a commercial or retail building, for his own use.
    • Any person who performs or supervises the repair or improvement of residential dwelling units owned by him that are subject to the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (t 55-248.2 et seq.)
  1. Permits will not be issued without all required information.
  1. After the permit is issued and you are ready for an inspection.
  • Call the Building Department at 276-385-1215.
  • A 24 hour notice is requested for inspections.
  • For calls between the hours of 8:00AM and 9:30AM the day you need the inspection, you can be added to the day’s schedule if there is availability.
  • For calls after 9:30AM, you will be added to the following day’s schedule.
  1. Permits are good for a six month period.

90 day extensions can be granted by the Building Official, as long as work continues on the project.


About     Applications and Forms   General Information    Do I need a permit?    Code Changes    Useful Website Resources