Building Safety Department Applications and Forms




            (Electrical upgrades, utility buildings, decks, etc.)


  • Under Title 54.1-1111
    • Prerequisites to obtaining building etc. permit. Any person applying to the code official or any other authority of a county, city, or town in this Commonwealth, charged with the duty of issuing building or other permits for the construction of any building, highway, sewer, or structure, or any removal, grading or improvement shall furnish prior to the issuance of the permit, either (i) satisfactory proof to such code official or authority that he is duly licensed or certified under the terms of this chapter to carry out or superintend the same, or (ii) file a written statement, supported by affidavit, that he is not subject to licensure or certification as a contractor of subcontractor pursuant to this chapter. The applicant shall also furnish satisfactory proof that the taxes or license fees required by any county, city, or town have been paid so as to be qualified to bid upon or contract for the work for which the permit has been applied.
  • TITLE 54.1-1101 (Exemptions) – The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to:
    • Any person who performs or supervised the construction, removal, repair or improvement of no more than one primary residence owned by him and for his own use during any 24-month period.
    • Any person who performs or supervises the construction, removal, repair or improvement of a house upon his own real property as a bona fide gift to a member of his immediate family provided such member lives in the house. For purposes of this section, “immediate family” includes one’s mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandchild, grandparent, mother-in-law and father-in-law.
    • Any person who performs or supervises the repair or improvement of industrial or manufacturing facilities, or a commercial or retail building, for his own use.
    • Any person who performs or supervises the repair or improvement of residential dwelling units owned by him that are subject to the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (t 55-248.2 et seq.)


            (The cross section document is required to be submitted with the application for all new residential structures and additions, if plans are unavailable.)



*** All applications may be submitted to our office in person, by mail, or through email to


About     General Information    Do I need a permit?    How to get a permit?    Code Changes    Useful Website Resources